Our Grant Process
RunningBrooke’s Move2Learn program awards grants to non-profit and other organizations based in Alexandria, VA working with Alexandria City children to provide innovative programs that get kids moving to support academic achievement. We encourage schools and teachers to apply for funding that would help provide resources for initiatives that get kids moving in the school and classroom.
Preference will be given to programs that can provide opportunities for exercise/movement activities before academic learning and in the classroom during the school day. RunningBrooke will not exclude from consideration, after school or intersession programs with a focus on under-served communities.
Applicants should be able to articulate measurable outcomes consistent with our focus areas:
- Enhancing academic performance through getting kids active before and during learning
- Increasing academic outcomes with the goal of performing at grade level or better
- Helping children (with a K-5 focus) prepare for and develop healthy lifestyle habits at home and in the classroom
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO THE GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS STARTING IN 2018
Application Dates after 2017 will align with the school year calendar
RunningBrooke Move2Learn is providing a new grant opportunity for Teachers, Instructors and Tutors
Please review the dates below for upcoming and future grant deadlines. In order to align more closely to the school calendar, RunningBrooke will be modifying the rollout of its grant application and funding for 2018-2019.
October – December 2017 – Applications are now closed. Awards will be announced in January 2018.
From 2018 forward, the grant application window will be from January to April for the following September through August school year.
January – April 2018 – Submit online applications for September 2018 – August 2019 programs. – Online application coming soon.
Grants for the September 2018/2019 school year will be announced in August.
New in 2018, Quick Start Mini Grants!
RunningBrooke Move2Learn is initiating a new opportunity for teachers, instructors, tutors and other individuals to apply for mini-grants of up to $500 that may be used for training, supplies (i.e. classroom reboot materials, classroom exercise equipment, heart rate monitors, etc.) or other innovative ideas that support the Move2Learn goals in the classrooms and other venues. These applications may be submitted in the months noted below and a response will be made within 60 days. More information will be available online starting in February 2018.
- February, March, April, August, September, November 2018 – Submit online applications for Teacher/Instructor/Tutor “Quick Start Mini-Grants”
Check back soon for more information about the 2018 Quick Start Mini Grants application process.
Please do not hesitate to email us at: email@example.com if you have any questions.
As in the past, priority will be given to programs that use exercise and/or movement to activate children’s brain development and learning. While we prioritize applications that meet the above criteria and the ability to measure outcomes based on academic performance, consideration will also be given to other groups and movement programs whose outcomes are measured by an increase in Positive Attitude, Focus, Confidence or Happiness/Emotional IQ.
Grant requests will be considered by a panel of RunningBrooke committee members based on the above criteria.
Expectations of Grant Recipients:
- Communicate with us if you need help during the application process or during grant implementation firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Define your expected outcomes, how you will measure them, and share this data with RunningBrooke.
- Schedule site visits from RunningBrooke representatives to see your program in action.
- Use the grant exclusively for the purpose stated in the proposal.
- Attend and/or volunteer at RunningBrooke events some time in 2018.
- Acknowledge the Move2Learn Grant from RunningBrooke in your marketing and communications materials, such as websites and newsletters.
- Submit RunningBrooke mid-term and final reports* documenting your progress.
- Survey student participants using the RunningBrooke survey.
- *Non-conforming reports will not be accepted independent of the RunningBrooke report.
Move2Learn is a program that includes information, instruction, potential funding and supporting data that RunningBrooke is sharing across schools and organizations in Alexandria in an effort to get kids moving to spark and heighten learning. RunningBrooke works with educators, nonprofit and community leaders to influence and instill physical activity within existing programs and communities.
Guidelines include: Duration of Physical Activity, Frequency of Activity, Type and Intensity of Activity, and the Emotional IQ of the Student. For our partners, these guidelines provide key areas necessary for their program to be more effective: Mastery of School Subject, Focus, Attitude, Confidence, and Happiness/Emotional IQ of Student. The End Result is physically active children, who yield considerable improvement in academic achievement over their sedentary peers. Additionally, active kids are focused, and physically and emotionally healthier too!
If you are a parent, school or community professional, coordinator or direct service staff, plan to engage and move with us as we continue to educate regarding the need for more recess, enhanced parks and playgrounds, non-traditional P.E., and physical activity to prepare kids for learning. We look forward to working with you to build a community of active children.