Our Grant Process
RunningBrooke’s Move2Learn initiative awards grants to non-profit organizations and public or private school programs based in Alexandria, VA working with Alexandria City children to provide innovative programs that get kids moving to support academic achievement. We encourage schools and program directors to apply for funding that would help provide resources for initiatives that get kids moving in the school and classroom.
Preference will be given to programs that can provide opportunities for exercise/movement activities before academic learning and in the classroom during the school day. RunningBrooke will not exclude from consideration, after school or intersession programs with a focus on under-served communities.
Applicants should be able to articulate measurable outcomes consistent with our focus areas:
- Enhancing academic performance through getting kids active before and during learning
- Increasing academic outcomes with the goal of performing at grade level or better
- Helping children (with a K-5 focus) prepare for and develop healthy lifestyle habits at home and in the classroom
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO THE GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
Starting in 2018 there are two Grant Opportunities
If you are a Teacher, Instructor or Tutor in Alexandria and are looking for funding for yourself or your classroom in 2018 – 2019 (up to $500), the application for Quick Start Mini-Grants will be available starting in August 2018.
Click here to read more.
For Alexandria non-profits and school programs that span multiple schools, classes or grades and will align with the 2018/2019 academic school year please complete the application by July 15, 2018. Award announcements will be made in August 2018.
This application process is now closed
As in the past, priority will be given to programs that use exercise and/or movement to activate children’s brain development and learning. While we prioritize applications that meet the above criteria and the ability to measure outcomes based on academic performance, consideration will also be given to other groups and movement programs whose outcomes are measured by an increase in Positive Attitude, Focus, Confidence or Happiness/Emotional IQ.
Grant requests will be considered by a panel of RunningBrooke committee members based on the above criteria.
Expectations of Grant Recipients:
- Communicate with us if you need help during the application process or during grant implementation. Email our Grants Team.
- Define your expected outcomes, how you will measure them, and share this data with RunningBrooke.
- Schedule site visits from RunningBrooke representatives to see your program in action.
- Use the grant exclusively for the purpose stated in the proposal.
- Attend and/or volunteer at RunningBrooke events some time in 2018.
- Acknowledge the Move2Learn Grant from RunningBrooke in your marketing and communications materials, such as websites and newsletters.
- Submit RunningBrooke mid-term and/or final reports* documenting your progress. *Non-conforming reports will not be accepted independent of the RunningBrooke report.
- Survey student participants using the RunningBrooke survey.
Move2Learn is a program that includes information, instruction, potential funding and supporting data that RunningBrooke is sharing across schools and organizations in Alexandria in an effort to get kids moving to spark and heighten learning. RunningBrooke works with educators, nonprofit and community leaders to influence and instill physical activity within existing programs and communities.
Guidelines include: Duration of Physical Activity, Frequency of Activity, Type and Intensity of Activity, and the Emotional IQ of the Student. For our partners, these guidelines provide key areas necessary for their program to be more effective: Mastery of School Subject, Focus, Attitude, Confidence, and Happiness/Emotional IQ of Student. The End Result is physically active children, who yield considerable improvement in academic achievement over their sedentary peers. Additionally, active kids are focused, and physically and emotionally healthier too!